Ah, the holidays. Is there a better time of year? That crisp, cool air. A snowflake or two. Hot cocoa. And the burning desire that I’ve forgotten something.
Christmas is right around the corner. If you couldn’t tell by all the lights and holiday music, the ads will remind you. There’s no better time to shop than now. Unless you hate lines.
But, if you really need that last minute gift and you don’t have time for two day shipping there are a few things you need to do to prepare:
- Bundle up, it’s cold out there. Also, layers act like armor when someone tries to elbow you out of the way.
- Make a list. Check it twice. Don’t drop it. It’s your lifeline to knowing who you’ve bought for and who you still need to buy for; plus, it keeps you focused. In and out.
- Practice dodging around people at home so you get comfortable enough to weave through lines like an NFL running back.
- Smile at people. Friendliness this time of year throws people off their game and freezes them, allowing you to swerve around them and grab that coveted item on your list.
- Say “Merry Christmas!” people love it. Or they hate it. I’m not sure. I haven’t met everyone. Those that love it will feel kindly toward you and allow you to sneak through and get that item you’re longing for. Those that hate it will staunchly stand in your way, but while they’re ranting, you can dash around them and be one step closer to home.
- Start earlier next year. Seriously, if you haven’t started by now, it’s probably a wash. Throw in the towel and start over next year.
All I’m trying to say is, get out there, have fun, and remember what the season is all about.
…If you remember, let me know. I’m stuck in line waiting for that hot new toy to drop, with the holiday tunes drowned out by kids, parents, and grandparents crying.